Thursday, May 5, 2011

Introduction...

It has taken four years to complete my first blog, documenting my trip to Europe in 2007... This is now my second attempt to blog about a holiday, and hopefully this time I'll be able to post updates as I go.
I wanted to be able to share some of, what I hope will be, our exciting experiences in almost-but-obviously-not-quite real time. So my goal, for the next five weeks, is to post little snippets of our adventures, as well as a few photos, every few days.

There are really three parts to this trip: 1) I spend five days in Brussels presenting a paper at the International Association for Literary Journalism conference, 2) R. joins me in Madrid and we spend three weeks travelling through Andalucia (with a little hop across to Morocco), and 3) I return to Granada on my own to present a second paper at the New Directions in Humanities conference.

While I'm sure many of you would be riveted by the finely nuanced academic exchanges of the two conferences, this is really the story of R. and my trip through southern Spain. We've been thinking about this trip for some time, and it is really exciting to finally be setting off on this adventure.

So, these pages should hopefully document visits to some beautiful towns and villages, a few historic must-sees, and some good eating and drinking! R. and I travel from Madrid to Tangier, Morocco and on to Chefchoauen. We then return to Spain via ferry and make our way to Granada. From there, we hire a car and travel to Ronda, Jerez de la Frontera and Cadiz, before heading up to Seville. We end our trip together in Cordoba. I have been brushing up on my spanish, and I should, again hopefully, be able to "hablar con los espanoles".
Happy reading! Wish you were here!



1 comment:

  1. Well jealous is not the word! It really sounds like you guys are having a ball. While the cultural and historic places you visited are making up for most of your time in Spain, the gastronomic portion is coming in a close second. We were in Spain for such a short time (once for the bull run, so local fare was not really on the agenda) but the few times we ventured into town and to the local tapas bars we were spoilt rotten. The locals genuinely want to dazzle you with their flavours and tastes which means that you are hardly ever a touristy trap target. Well keep it up and we'll keep reading.

    PS. I like Rors new name, R! It's very James Bondish. Like M and Q, if you know what i mean.

    ReplyDelete