Sunday, May 15, 2011

Saturday 14 |May 2011

A gastronomic tour of Brussels...

The IALJS Conference closed on Satuday afternoon, after a full morning of papers covering topics from the early literary journalism of Hemmingway and Orwell to social reportage in China and the Nordic countries.

My afternoon was spent indulging in the gastronomic delights that Brussels has to offer, which included the quintessential "moulles et frites":


My choice for dessert was a taste-tester tour of the chocolate shops around the Grote Markt. While not strictly a "chocolate shop", this little store was by far the most visually impressive:



While tempted to buy all sorts of amazing goodies, I stood firm. I would have loved to have bought beuatiful Belgian chocolates to take home as gifts...but with four weeks of travel to go, I had to admit that the chances of any chocolate actually arriving home was pretty slim!

This is not the Manneken Pis...but fun, nonetheless:


I was surprised, on arriving in the Grote Markt on Saturday afternoon, at how many people were there...and how many people were wearing pink! I soon discovered that I had stumbled into Brussels' annual Gay Pride Parade! It made for a very festive afternoon!


No comments:

Post a Comment